Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Law of averages

I have a love hate relationship with running.  Some days, who am I kidding, most days it's a struggle just to get my feet on that pavement.  Not as often though it's not as much of a struggle once I'm out there, it's not easy by any means either!  However, once in a while, once in a blue moon I have  a run that is simply so enjoyable (yes, I said enjoyable) so easy (yup, I said easy too) that I think I could run forever.

The first time this happened to me was when Clifton and I ran our first 10k at the Cowtown Marathon event in Ft. Worth this past February.  We had never run this distance before and didn't want to start out too fast to hurt ourselves in the long run so you have to understand that we weren't running at any fast pace, we just wanted to complete the race and do our best to not stop (which we did both).  I remember enjoying my random play list, watching the sun rise as we came down one of the hills and us pointing to all the interesting t-shirts people were wearing to advertise their group/business, the whole thing was simply enjoyable, not bad for an hour of running!

Following this race I ran a few days later and had a very similar experience of an enjoyable run, at this point I thought maybe this is it, this is how "runners" feel and that's why they love to run so much and do it so often.  I felt like I had finally reached a pivotal moment in my running!  I was wrong!  

I will tell you this though that some days if you can just get yourself on that pavement and start, you'll be glad you did and even if it's a crappy run, just remember what my dad always use to tell me "at least you're out there doing it!"  Also, those scarce enjoyable runs can occur at any point and the more you run the more they're likely to occur, law of averages, right!?

I had an enjoyable run the other day, I hadn't been running in probably about 2 weeks so I didn't know what to expect, but I got a nice surprise and I'm grateful for that!  Grateful for running, even if it is a love/hate relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment